You will need:
- A sun top with an elasticated top and swing base
- A small cushion
- Scissors, needle and thread
- Creative license, i.e. just do it: cut the fabric then there’s no going back 😀
- Cut the sun top into two parts. The elasticated part and the swing-ruffled part. Turn them inside out so that the seams will be the right way around.
- Mess around with combinations until you are happy you can see the end product in your mind’s eye. Pin in place so you know where to put the seams.
- Sew the seams by hand:
(i) on a blanket in the garden on a hot sunny day
(ii) sitting on your bed leaning over your bedside table with a hot study lamp in your ear
(iii) finally, while chatting with your sisters in the sitting room, in the green chair that used to sit by your Granny’s fireplace
- Put the whole thing together and feel very satisfied that you took a sun-top and a cushion through the whole creative process and that you taught yourself to hand sew along the way.
- Take photos of your lovely cushion cover for posterity.