- What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we HOPE for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see. By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.
- Long ago, God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. But now in these final days He has spoken to us through His Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son He made the universe and everything in it. The Son reflects God’s glory, and everything about Him represents God exactly. He sustains the universe by the mighty power of His command. After He died to cleanse us from the stain of sin, he sat down in the place of honour at the right hand of the majestic God of heaven.
- Christ suffered when He died for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but He died for sinners that He might bring us safely home to God. He suffered physical death, but He was raised to life in the Spirit. Now Christ has gone to heaven. He is seated in the place of honour next to God, and all the angels and authorities and powers are bowing before Him.
- Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before God made anything at all and is supreme over all creation. Christ is the one through whom God created everything in heaven and earth. He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see. Everything has been created through Him and for Him. He existed before everything else began, and He holds all creation together.
- Christ is the head of the church, which is His body. He is the first of all who will rise from the dead, so He is first in everything. For God in all His fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and by Him God reconciled everything to Himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of His blood on the cross. This includes you who were His enemies, separated from Him by your evil thoughts and actions, yet now He has brought you back as His friends. He has done this through His death on the cross in His own human body. As a result, He has brought you into the very presence of God, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before Him without a single fault. This is the secret: Christ lives in you, and this is your assurance that you will share in His glory.
- Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits at God’s right hand in the place of honour and power. Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth. For you died when Christ died, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.
- Christ is all that matters.